If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site


You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Request an Appointment

Call or text us 408.263.3990
Text "Appt" to schedule an appointment
Text "refill" for medication refill
Text "directions" for directions to our clinic

RSS Feed

Posted on 03-09-2016


Lilies are beautiful flowers that are very common to have as a part of floral arrangements or as a part of Easter holiday decorations. What you may not realize is that one bite of this gorgeous plant could prove fatal for your cats. We recommend cat owners to not have lilies in their homes, whether potted or cut.

If you think your cat may have ingested even a part of a flower or leaf, immediate veterinary care is needed. Symptoms of toxicity may not develop until a few days after ingestion at which time severe kidney failure may have developed. Once clinical signs develop, treatment can be very difficult and in some cases unsuccessful, which may result in death. Symptoms of kidney failure can include drooling, vomiting, lack of appetite, lethargy, and either sudden increase or decrease in urination. The best course of action is to prevent your cat from being around lilies.

If you think your cat may have eaten a lily, seek urgent care. Inducing vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide is no longer recommended, because severe gastric irritation and bleeding (hemorrhagic gastritis) can develop. Inducing vomiting in cats is more difficult than in dogs, even in practice, but we have injectable medications that can be used. Fluid therapy and activated charcoal may also be necessary to prevent absorption and flush the kidneys.

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

Go to top of page