If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site


You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Request an Appointment

Call or text us 408.263.3990
Text "Appt" to schedule an appointment
Text "refill" for medication refill
Text "directions" for directions to our clinic

RSS Feed

Posted on 03-09-2016

The Dangers of Easter Grass

This Easter holiday, remember to use caution when it comes to pets and home décor. Plastic Easter grass is especially dangerous to cats and dogs who may ingest this colorful stringy material. The “grass” may get caught in the mouth or stomach and pull tight through the intestines like an accordion, something called a “linear foreign body”. Linear foreign bodies can lead to vomiting, decreased appetite, stomach pain, and could result in the need for major surgery due to the intestinal perforation.

We have also seen this in pets who have ingested dental floss, sewing threads, knitting, carpet fibers, and other long strings. It is recommended to never encourage your pet to view strings as a toy and to keep all such items from your pet’s reach.

If you want to use Easter grass in your decorations or baskets, be sure to get the paper kind rather than the plastic as this type is more easily digested and less likely to cause issues if accidental ingestion occurs. Have a safe and happy holiday!

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

Go to top of page